Makes 1 (6-inch) layer cake, about 8 to 12 servings
- Butter, nonstick cooking spray, or coconut oil for the pans
- 280 grams all-purpose flour
- 300 grams granulated sugar
- 35 grams unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon fine salt
- 120 milliliters melted oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 360 milliliters hot strong-brewed coffee
For the coconut cream cheese frosting:
- 225 grams unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 115 grams cream cheese Philadelphia at room temperature
- 60 milliliters coconut cream
- 440 grams powdered sugar, sifted
For the coconut caramel glaze:
- 150 grams granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 120 milliliters coconut cream or full-fat coconut milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 170 grams unsweetened coconut flakes
- Arrange a rack in the middle of the oven and heat to 350?F (175?C). Grease and flour 4 (6-inch or 15-centimeter) round cake pans and set aside.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
- Create a well in the dry mixture and pour in the coconut oil, vinegar, and vanilla. Stir to combine. While whisking, carefully pour in the coffee. Mix until fully combined, making sure to scrape the bottom of the bowl to incorporate any dry ingredients that may have gotten left behind.
- Evenly divide the batter among the prepared pans. Bake for 24 to 26 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cakes comes out clean. Let them cool on a wire rack for 10 to 15 minutes before removing the cakes from their pans.
- Make the coconut cream cheese frosting: In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and cream cheese together on medium until smooth. With the mixer on low, gradually add the coconut cream and powdered sugar until incorporated. Turn the mixer up to medium-high and mix until it is combined and creamy.
- Make the coconut caramel glaze: Combine the sugar, agave, and water in a saucepan. Stir until combined. Heat over high heat until the mixture becomes a medium amber color and the rate of boiling slows (about 305?F/152?C on a candy thermometer).
- Remove from the heat and carefully whisk in the coconut cream. Add the vanilla and stir until combined. Transfer to a heat-safe container and let it cool.
- Assemble the cake: Once the cakes have completely cooled, level them and choose which layer will be at the bottom. Place it on a cake plate or serving dish.
- Spread on 1/3 cup of the cream cheese frosting with an offset spatula. Top with the next layer of cake and repeat twice, ending with the fourth layer. Frost the cake with the remaining cream cheese frosting and cover it with the coconut flakes.